Monday, July 4, 2016

My Fitness Goals: July 2016

Happy Independence Day to all of you Americans. Happy normal day to the rest of you!

I wanted to go ahead and talk about some of my fitness goals. This is especially important since I'm starting out - or more halfway through my fitness journey (more on my history later).

I don't have a lot of specific goals set as far as appearance goes. I think everybody wants a flat stomach, and I'd definitely like to do enough squats to get a butt again.

But those aren't so important to me. I care more about the process itself - the exercises I'm doing and the foods I'm eating - and what my body can do, rather than how it looks. I consider it healthier, mentally speaking, to focus on your body as an instrument, rather than an ornament. In fact, that's the entire message behind Get Two Fit.

So let's talk goals for July.

Since I'm just starting out, this is a month to lay the groundwork for the rest of the process.

  • First and foremost, and probably the most important thing I can do for my lifelong health, is to quit smoking. Moving to El Paso is going to shake everything up for me. I won't have my super-stressful customer service job. I'll be living with two people who bring me an insane amount of joy. I'll be focusing strictly on my health and wellness (and building my business), so I'll have something positive to do 24/7. So I think quitting smoking will happen very easily for me as soon as I move. So I've set my goal to just never smoke a cigarette once I leave the Albuquerque city limits. 
  • Second is to drink an obscene amount of water. Right now, I have a slight addiction to diet soda. I'm not going to try to give up on carbonation and caffeine entirely (at least not yet), but I am going to try to drink a glass of water in between. 
  • Third is planning out what I'm going to eat for each week. I want to have a plan in place so that I'm not as tempted to go out to eat constantly because I can't decide what I want and have no idea what's in my fridge. 
  • Fourth, in the same vein as number three, is to stop eating out entirely once I move (can you tell that I'm using this move to really kick start my progress?). Yes, I do plan to enjoy El Paso's cuisine. But not just yet. Not until I'm looking at a big enough income to support it. It should be a celebration of milestones, rather than a daily ritual. 
  • Fifth, and perhaps the most challenging, is going to be giving up alcohol and going out. I spent my time in Albuquerque wrapped up in the nightlife and getting familiar with the gay community by spending an amazing amount of time at bars. I want to get acquainted with El Paso's gay community in other ways - like volunteering and going to special events - rather than over an adios and a beer. 
  • Sixth and finally, I'm going to start exercising again. I realized exactly how out of shape I've become on Saturday when I moved my first carload of stuff to El Paso. One of my boxes had every dish and utensil I own, so it easily weighed 70 pounds. I had to carry it from my car, to the back of a building, and then upstairs to my apartment. It would be challenging for most people, but I'm still sore a full 48 hours later, and I think that's unacceptable. So I'm going to start on an exercise plan. I'll be starting out by getting back into yoga (at least a few hours a week) and doing some calisthenics on the side. Nothing major until August. But I want to get my body used to working out again so that when I have access to my apartment's gym, I'll be able to hit the ground running without so much downtime in between workouts. 
If you're on your own fitness journey, what are your goals for the month? What are your goals overall? What are your thoughts on mine? Do you think I can do all this in just one month? I'm worried I'm biting off more than I can chew, but I almost feel like it'll be easier to overwhelm and overhaul my life completely in one day (and just maintain that new life) than it is to try to change one thing at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment